Open, for Maritime
ck7069fil00o99ppc2r1ka588 maritime feature 1140x490 full
From boatbuilding, marine exports, to vessel maintenance and servicing - the Western Cape is leading the way in Marine Manufacturing.
Reasons to invest
The Western Cape is the production hub of the South African boatbuilding industry and is recognised globally for its innovative designs and excellent craftsmanship. 70% of all boat building activity in South Africa occurs in the Western Cape and one of its top 10 exports includes yachts. The province is proud to be the second biggest manufacturer of catamarans in the world (after France), and the industry has seen year on year growth since 2012 of 28.8%.
Why Cape Town and the Western Cape?
- Internationally recognised capabilities and a reputation for excellence and quality – building of customised vessels, repair and maintenance services.
- Strong support system for logistic and ancillary services that includes: chandlering, hospitality, waste disposal, certification, legal as well as finance and insurance.
- Good education system and established tertiary institutions – including the only boatbuilding school in the country.
- Deep water ports that can accommodate various vessels.
- Established road, rail and port infrastructure.
- Three major ports that are closely linked to international airports.
- Good skills support system with strong linkages between national and provincial government, and other sectoral education training authorities.
- World-class repair, refurbishment and maintenance services at highly competitive rates internationally.